The personal thoughts and comments of Gene, "The Aggie."

Use any information found here at your own risk. I am not responsible for the consequences of your use, misuse or abuse, of this information. I do not advocate or condone violence except for lawful protection of life, liberty and, in very limited cases, property. Nothing included in this site is to be taken as legal advice.


NOTE:
"The Aggie" neither controls or
endorses the sites that Google displays in this ad bar.

'Gun-Free Zones' are only gun-free, until somebody brings a gun. - Unknown

Friday, May 16, 2008

Gunfire, Kidnappers Await Tourists at Mexico Border

H/T: Newsmax

"U.S. citizens are urged to be especially alert to safety and security concerns when visiting the border region"
The US-Mexican border usually seems to be far, far away from my quiet SE Texas neighborhood. Until I drive down the street and bother to notice the plethora of signs in a Spanish. Actually, the presence of Spanish-speaking people never has bothered me too much.

You see, I used to live down near the border in my younger days - long, long ago. I was born in Brownsville (can't get much further south than that!) and lived in McAllen, Three Rivers, George West, Hebronville, Cotulla, Hempstead, Conroe, Hallettsville, Laredo and Beeville. Did I miss any? Must have! Oh, and I finally moved "north" in time to graduate from Conroe High School which is justa few miles north of Houston. All but Conroe and Hallettsville are south of San Antonio.

BTW, that list doesn't include the "repeats." We lived in Three Rivers three times, George West twice, Laredo three times and Conroe twice.

Anyway, I grew up running with kids named Paco, Manuel, Maria, Jesus, and so on. Learned a little bit of Tex-Mex in the mean time. I dare not use any of that knowledge in polite company! :>)

When we last lived in Laredo, I was probably about 10, I remember getting to "cross the river" with my folks and visit the shopping areas such as el Mercado and various stores nearby. Pretty tame stuff since they had to drag me along. I remember being warned to be alert and to obey! My parents impressed very strongly on me that things just worked differently on the other side of that muddy river. As it was, I never did recognize any threats. I guess I was sheltered from all that.

Now, we read that Mexican police officials are seeking asylum on this side of the border. Fearing for their lives. Open gun battles on the other side. Americans are kidnapped for ransom. Possibly some of them are actually innocent and in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What keeps the Mexican criminals from crossing the Rio Grande? Not much!

What's it going to take to settle things down down there? From my limited vantage point, the Mexican government does not seem to have a handle on its criminal element in spite of its draconian gun control laws.

Are we going to have to invade as Gen. "Black Jack" Pershing did in 1916? Or do we go to war as we did in 1848?

What is it going to take?

No comments:

Popular Posts