The personal thoughts and comments of Gene, "The Aggie."

Use any information found here at your own risk. I am not responsible for the consequences of your use, misuse or abuse, of this information. I do not advocate or condone violence except for lawful protection of life, liberty and, in very limited cases, property. Nothing included in this site is to be taken as legal advice.


NOTE:
"The Aggie" neither controls or
endorses the sites that Google displays in this ad bar.

'Gun-Free Zones' are only gun-free, until somebody brings a gun. - Unknown

Monday, July 14, 2008

IDPA: Training or Just a Game?

Steve Denney at Officer.com writes a compelling case for IDPA as a aid to training for law enforcement officers and other professionals. For the rest of us, it is often the only training we get.

Some of us have been blessed with the ability to take an evening's class or two. I paid good money for mine and got my money's worth every time. Now if I could just get the sheckels together for a trip to FrontSite!

. . . a specific way for you to improve your firearms skills, even if your department doesn't have the time or the resources to do as much training as you, or they, would like. Check out IDPA, the International Defensive Pistol Association.

Remembering that IDPA, or any other such competition is a game, Denney goes on with:

As a result, the rules of the game, and yes, it is a game, were established to promote shooter skills that would be useful if they ever had to use a handgun to defend themselves. (Emphasis in the original - Gene)

As a non-LEO (in other words, I am not employed by a law enforcement or security agency. I'm what is otherwise known as "a citizen") my personal experience was very positive when I was shooting with the TSR (now Memorial Shooting Center) Tactical Shooters group every Tuesday night. It was, initially, my only training and practice. The TSR range management and my fellow shooters finally convinced me that I really did need proper "training". Boy! Were they right! :>) I just did not know what I did not know.

Whether you pick IDPA or IPSC or whatever, my point in writing this is to get out "there" and practice!

Be safe and God Bless Ya'll !

III
Click Here for More Information

No comments:

Popular Posts