The personal thoughts and comments of Gene, "The Aggie."

Use any information found here at your own risk. I am not responsible for the consequences of your use, misuse or abuse, of this information. I do not advocate or condone violence except for lawful protection of life, liberty and, in very limited cases, property. Nothing included in this site is to be taken as legal advice.


NOTE:
"The Aggie" neither controls or
endorses the sites that Google displays in this ad bar.

'Gun-Free Zones' are only gun-free, until somebody brings a gun. - Unknown

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Church Music

Here's my $ 0.02-worth on a subject I know absolutely nothing about. That never stopped me before!

Church music. I've been in a number of different types of congregations over the years. Solid, conventional, southern protestant, charismatic, Pentecostal (there is a difference - somewhere), high-church (more or less), low-church and so-on. God seems to lead us into these places for our instruction. I don't know that we (well, I) contribute much to the congregation in return. Other than headaches and . . .

Anyway, now that I have some "experience" behind me, I am beginning to believe some of what is presented to us to sing, as a congregation, is just un-singable. Perhaps it is my/our inexperience, ignorance of the music or whatever. Perhaps it is a result of the choices made by our leaders. Whatever, I just do not know the songs - and I don't think most of the rest of us do, either.

Not too long ago we visited a congregation that employs a kind of "praise band" and an organist and choir.

It was there that I noticed significant portions of the congregation were not singing. Some were silent on when the praise band was used. Some were silent when the organ and choir were employed. In fact, during one song, the choir did not seem to know the song and hardly any of the congregation seemed to participate.

I am beginning to believe that our congregation has been experiencing much the same difficulty. While I personally prefer the "low-church" approach to worship, I do appreciate a dose of "high-church" music. I can exist in the middle, 'tween folk, praise and worship, hymn and anthem.

However, it seems to me that much of the music, particularly on the hymn and anthem end of the spectrum is quite unfamiliar to me. That may be just my ignorance. On the other hand, I don't think I get to hear the same unfamiliar songs enough to learn them.

Anyone else experience this? Or is it just me? :>)

God Bless Ya'll !

III
Click Here for More Information

1 comment:

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

We've got a very good choir and director. And so the 'performance' music at Grace is excellent, (disclaimer - member of the handbell II choir, so maybe not totally unbiased ;-) But I do wish the man would at least keep the 'tradional' hymns in the rotation. He always seems to pick the ones that aren't familiar to me and ignore my 'favorites'. As a cradle Anglican, I have more than a passing familiarity with the hymnal and I don't recognize some of these!

Over here via the LawDog files - and glad to see that I'm not the ONLY Episcopalian who shoots (as vs shoots off his/her mouth - I know a few of THOSE, thankseversomuchbye.)

Popular Posts