The personal thoughts and comments of Gene, "The Aggie."

Use any information found here at your own risk. I am not responsible for the consequences of your use, misuse or abuse, of this information. I do not advocate or condone violence except for lawful protection of life, liberty and, in very limited cases, property. Nothing included in this site is to be taken as legal advice.


NOTE:
"The Aggie" neither controls or
endorses the sites that Google displays in this ad bar.

'Gun-Free Zones' are only gun-free, until somebody brings a gun. - Unknown

Saturday, April 02, 2011

The Puzzle of Intolerant Tolerance

H/T: Transfigurations

Intolerant "Tolerance".  Yes, I have run into that before.  As far as I'm concerned, it's essentially the same attitude my parents used to take.  "Gene, you can do whatever ever you like, as long as you do it my way!"

Yeah.  Right.

Really, in a parent-child relationship, much of that is necessary.  My parents are dead.  Only my Father (in Heaven) retains the right of Command over this person.  Yes, there are many in authority whom I will obey - for my own good.  Lawful, legal authority.  The "authority" of the majority, or even the "elite" minority is another matter all together.
The way forward is to move from a stubborn insistence that there is no such thing as truth, or that truth is dangerous, to conceding that perhaps truth is possible and available to us after all, and that in our own way we are all seeking it.
Conceding the possibility of truth, and that we all share a desire to find the truth and to live in its light, changes the situation completely. Nothing is lost from diversity, disagreement, scepticism and dispute, but they are re-located within a common journey which makes trust, openness and respect for each other in our different moral commitments stronger and easier. This is what real tolerance means.
Powerful stuff.  Go Read.  Consider.  Tolerate?  ;>)

God Bless Ya'll !

No comments:

Popular Posts